What does it take to succeed?
Everyone has their own definition of success. To some it means money, to some power, while to others it means influence. It doesn’t matter what your definition is, in order to reach what you consider success, it’s crucial you follow these steps.
- Decide what your goal is. Whether it’s to run a marathon or to make a million dollars, write down the goal and put it in a prominent location so you can see it every day and reinforce it in your mind.
- Make a plan. A goal can never be achieved without a plan. A plan is a step-by-step path that you can execute in order to reach the goal. Set milestones and dates for each step, so you can track your progress.
- Make it happen! There’s no plan without action. Take the first step, then the next, then the next, and before you know it, you have reached that first milestone. Sometimes it might be painful but if you power through, you will get there eventually.
- Don’t be afraid of risks and failures. There are no worthwhile goals without taking a risk. But it’s up to you how you face the challenge. It’s easy to call it quits, but you will kick yourself later. Danzel Washington said it best, “Nothing in life is worthwhile unless you take risks”.
- Tell everyone your goals. It helps to have those who love and support you to know and to cheer on what you’re trying to achieve. Don’t labour in secrecy. It’s possible that someone who wants to help you is just around the corner. Be proud of what you’re trying to do, and if there are naysayers, just smile and walk on. You will reach your goal while their negativity will keep them standing still.
- Be patient. Success doesn’t happen overnight. Jeff Bezos didn’t grow Amazon to a multi-billion dollar behemoth it is today without years of blood, sweat and tears. Success takes time, but be assured that every step you take in the right direction, whether you fall or stumble, keep going, and when the day of success comes, you will be ready for the next challenge!